Wednesday, July 23, 2008

i love you grandma!



this last week has been a whirlwind. my sweet grandma ruth passed away on wednesday around 3:30pm. i had been to see her that morning. her oxygen level had dropped by 10 points, and she looked like she was in a very peaceful sleep. she didn't respond to me, but her breathing sped up when hunter insisted on sitting on the bed and held her hand. he was so sweet with her. he told her that her finger nails looked very pretty and he gave her fragile little hand a kiss. he got quite jealous every time i tried to sit with her. he loved his great grandma ruth very much.

we were getting ready to go camping when i got a call from my cousin telling me she probably only had minutes left. i couldn't bring myself to take my kids over to her house right then. i didn't want them to see her struggling. she was so peaceful when we had been there that morning and i didn't want that memory to be over shadowed by pain. so i waited until jeff got home (about 10 minutes later) and headed over. she was gone by the time i got there.

i miss her, but it was a blessing to have her go so quickly. her viewing was last night. she was definitely a very loved woman!!!! between the all family, friends, and people she served there was a line a mile long. i don't think it helped that my dad was the first in the viewing line. we had to keep reminding him to keep it moving. thank you to everyone who came to support my grandpa. i got to see so many people that i hadn't seen in forever. we love you all and i know my grandma would have been a little embarrassed by all the attention. thank you!!!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Haley, I've been thinking about you. I'm sorry about your grandma! I wish I could do something for you. Just know my thoughts and love are with you. Love, Mindy

Anonymous said...

Haley,

I'm sorry about your grandmother passing away. I'm glad you and your syblings were as close to Ruth and Alan as you are. I met them a few times when I was younger. They were very kind people. Your mother always called me 'Big Al' so it was sort of cool when her father-in-law was also Big Al. I'm glad your immediate family was so close to them. It will always make a difference in your life.

I was living out of state by while you were growing up. I don't remember much of you guys when you were young. I do remember you always had a cute little smile on your face. You seemed quite shy to me, but still have that same cute smile. What I remember most about you is when I went to see Madysen at a play she was in. You were sitting in front of me with Jeff. I wasn't sure if you knew who I was, but you quickly reached back and patted my knee to ask how I was. That meant a lot to me. I was sorry I had to be away from my nieces and nephews while you were all growing up. Now you are grown with your own families. Time passes quickly. I have always been very happy that your family is so close. I love my brothers and sisters and wish we were closer. You are very fortunate.