Sunday, April 13, 2008

the first vision

today jeff and i had the opportunity to speak in church. after living in this ward for over 5 years, having 3 different bishoprics and holding a half dozen calling they finally pinned us down for the "introduce the family"/"the first vision" talk. i don't know anyone that hates to talk in church more than me!!! jeff and i agreed not to tell a soul about it. we have a very supportive family... and sometimes more than what we want. what we didn't think about was what in the world were we suppose to to with a 5yr old and a 2yr old (that is a major mama's boy) while we were speaking. we had many people offer their help- but hunter is a little picky who he associates with... so we were on our own. i spoke first, and it only took about 30 seconds for hunter to realize i was talking into the microphone and not sitting next to him. he ran faster than jeff- so he joined me at the podium. before i could stop him he grabbed the mic and yelled "HELLO!!!!" the noise and laughter caught him a little of guard and he buried his little head in my shoulder immediately. but once he realized the noise had come from him he was ready to give it another try. i had to hand him to jeff over the railing of the stand and he screamed, "i want my mommy!!!" i'm not quite sure how jeff calmed him- but he had hunter under control fairly quick. so after crying for mommy you would think he'd be excited when i came to the rescue. not the case. he saw dad was talking into the mic and started crying (very loud), "i want my daddy!!!!!" and i couldn't get him to stop. so we spent about 50% of jeff's talk out in the lobby. i'm not quite sure what we were thinking in not telling grandmas and papas we were speaking- they would have been so much help. i think we've learned out lesson... maybe... but lets hope for everyone sake that we don't get asked to speak again for a very, very, very long time!!!

5 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

THAT is an awesome story! Seroiusly. The only thing that would have made it BETTER is if you had somehow caught all this on tape! :)

Heather J said...

I'll bet it made for an entertaining sacrement meeting. I love it when there is something at of the ordinary. I hate speaking.

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

Oh the stress of speaking. I am sure you both did great. I had to say the opening prayer yesterday and I thought Jayce was going to start screaming. It is hard with little ones.
Call me- I can take pictures when ever. It is getting so pretty outside. I am good whenever.

Katherine said...

Yah, you weren't thinking it through were you :) jk. When we spoke a while ago, I didn't know what I was going to do and called my mom a couple hours before and she drove up from Layton - it was a lifesaver. She spent the entire meeting in the nursery with Isaac just listening to our talks. I was so thankful she was there. I am sure you did great, and like torie and Heather said - it's fun for other people when kids are acting silly (not so fun for the mom and dad), but I am sure everyone else thought it was darling. Have a good week.

Marianne said...

That is too funny! gotta love little boys!!!